Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Our First Week

Mbote!  (Lingala for Greetings!)

As a disclaimer, I'd like to mention that this is my first blog.  Ever.  Please forgive my jumbled thoughts and unorganized content.  This is new to me.  I will, however, be trying to keep everyone updated through posting photos as much as I can - Photos speak louder than words anyway, right?!

We are FINALLY here!  After many months of paperwork, emails and many many prayers, Joshua and I arrived safely in DRCongo Friday, September 27th.

We stayed in Kinshasa for the night at a Catholic guesthouse.  They gave us a room each which was a little surprise... But at least we were next door to each other!  (See photos below to note the cute beds we slept in with accompanying mosquito nets, of course!)  We awoke at 4 the next morning in order to catch the much smaller (eek!) plane to Gemena.  Our sleeping schedule has been a bit disorienting, but 'tis to be expected for our very first week!



As you all know, I am an animal lover.  If it is fuzzy, I will snuggle it.  Christine has a yellow labish dog named Sukali (meaning Sugar).  He is quite adorable!  I will get some photos of him soon so you too can ogle at him.  Then, something happened.  Something quite unexpected.  A couple days after being here, some kids came up to the house with something snuggly in their arms asking if we wanted to buy him.  Josh immediately recoiled and said 'no no no no no' as he went inside the house.  I, on the other hand, immediately fell in love with the large brown eyes staring back at me.  Ten dollars later and... I have my very first dog!!  Another kind of fuzzy I have been able to enjoy snuggling with.  Josh is also in love (I'm sure of it).  Will post a photo of Nzoku Moke below.  (If you are wondering and can't figure it out for yourself.... His name means 'Little Elephant'.  Any guesses as to why?)




A couple of days ago, we saw a spider as big as a tarantula inside the house - Hoping to not have any close encounters with that fuzzy creature.  Will keep you posted.

We've spent our first week meeting MANY people.  We've been struck by the welcome we've received - People here know how to make you feel special!  The very first day we arrived, a local women's widows group came to greet us with smiles and song in their beautiful brightly coloured dresses.  We've had many reasons to smile since our arrival.

One of our first tasks is to learn conversational Lingala (the local language here in Gemena).  We've had one lesson already and will be continuing a shared tutor session in the mornings to come!

World Vision had their annual day of prayer this past week and asked me to photograph the event.  As if I didn't stand out enough being one of two white girls in the church, you can imagine how I felt wandering around with my massive camera around my neck and dripping sweat from the heat!

Will post again soon about our adventure to Gbadolite.  I will include video.  You will have to see to believe!

Red dirt. Storms. Heat. Jungle. Food. People. Language. Time. Bugs. Congo.  It has certainly been a week of adjustments for us.

Please keep us in your prayers!

Much Love,
M&J

2 comments:

  1. Miriam this is so awesome of what you are doing!!!! And so brave! Please keep Swapadventure in your mind too. I have events held here in Mount Prospect and I want to donate to children clothes, toys, books, and lots of toys around the world. Keep me in mind PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Miriam!!! That is so great to hear you and Joshua are doing this! Please keep Swapadventure in the back of your mind to. I have events here in Mount Prospect with other people to swap any maternity, baby, toddler, child, and young adult stuff. We also donate all the items left over all around the world. I would love to see if there are any orphanages that you may come across that we can make a shipment to. We want to help!!!! Good luck to the both of you!

    ReplyDelete